DISCLAIMER: NO GOOD BOOKS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS PROJECT!
If your love of books is anything like mine then you totally understand the need for the above disclaimer. I’ve wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember. My major in college was English and I had no problem with the one-novel-per-week homework for each course. I actually looked forward to it despite everyones whats-wrong-with-that-girl eyebrows. Now, one of my favorite places to be is at my (soon to be) Sister-in-law’s used bookstore but, sadly, I don’t always have enough time to read.
When I saw different versions of this wreath popping up all over the internet I knew I had to make one. Armed with nothing more than a single inspiration picture stored in my iPhone library I was determined All I really knew was that I wanted this thing to be big and there was no way I was murdering any of my books no matter how adorable the end product may be! And then I remembered I’d been hauling a bag of tattered, old books around in my trunk for the last 3 months that were destined for Goodwill. So, I hauled those babies right back inside. See! I knew there was a reason for my extreme procrastination!
I used two different sized books for the wreath. Two small goosebumps books for the inner parts of the wreath and a bigger one fot the outside and back (three books total). I spent one night planted in front of the TV just rolling and stapling book pages and assembled everything the next night.
I debated making the wreath frame out of thick cardboard but wasn’t sure if that would give me the right amount of depth I was looking for. After a quick trip the dollar store I settled on a wooden branch frame that I covered with newspaper and duct tape to give it a better shape and make it a little more sturdy.
Then, starting with the larger pages (if you’re using two different sizes) start hot gluing the pages to the wreath face down. I just started gluing until there was no space left. I also trimmed the tails off the pages after they were glued down to keep the middle of the wreath open. Once you got everything covered and clipped, turn it over. It should look something like this:
For the front, I did one row of the larger book pages before I started on the smaller ones. Just keep gluing, and gluing, and gluing. And try not to burn yourself! It sucks, trust me!
Now it’s time to clean up that middle section.
Gently turn over the wreath and lay it face down. Take the tail end of the middle pages, fold them back and glue in place. One thing I learned in the process is that when you get to the last few pages in the middle of the wreath, try to get the staple as close to the bottom of the roll as possible. This will make it much easier to hide the staples. If you can’t get low enough, try using a piece of scotch tape.
Turn it back over and check for any empty spots and fill in with extra pages. I also added a ribbon with two staples and reinforced it with a little hot glue to make sure it wouldn’t fall down. I used a gray ribbon so it could stay up all year since I decided to gift it to the bookstore.
There really is no better home for it.